12.26.2009

153 - Soo-preese

Hated the Series of Unfortunate Events movie, but still can't get Jim Carry's inflections as Count Olaf out of my head, so every once in a while I find myself saying things like 'it's a soo-preese'... and... no one gets it... which is, just another unfortunate event in Kristy's life (it should be noted, however, that despite my feelings regarding the movie, I loved the books and have them all sitting proudly on my bookshelf).

Well today was return day. I dreaded it so much that I almost talked myself out of it because I assumed everyone and their mother would be clogging up a 5-mile radius surrounding the mall. I expected hours of waiting, short tempers, and maybe a fist fight or two. Instead, it was surprisingly pleasant... the worst part turned out to be finding a parking space, but I didn't mind parking out in the boonies -- I needed the exercise after all that eating!

It got me wondering... all those massive sales the stores make prior to Christmas... wonder how much of that gets wiped out by returns once Christmas is over?

So after a brief visit to Macy's and a slightly longer one to Best Buy, I went to Kohls to return the Smack... I mean, Lovely. Much longer line. And afterwards... afterwards I... *gulp* shopped... But I found the most flattering blouses... and a very cool jacket... It's not 2010 just yet... those resolutions don't kick in until Jan 1st and I had money from the returns so I allotted some of it toward purchases and earmarked some for savings... Geez... I should be Catholic for all the guilt I feel sometimes...

When I came home I went online to look at JC Penney because I had a $15 off coupon that I thought I could combine with another $15 off coupon... no dice, so no Penneys. Anyway, as I was browsing the site I noticed that they sold Skechers Shape Ups. There they were... staring at me in the face... daring me to buy them... from another store, because Penneys were even more expensive at $110... normally I see them for $99.99 and think that's expensive. So I went on Google and clicked the Shopping link and found some for $74.95 + shipping at a place called Glen's Outdoors. There was the good deal I'd been looking for... 32% off (because they too normally sell them for $110). It was, in short, a sign. So I felt a little bad about spending the money, but it ultimately fit with my fitness plan for next year. And you know what? When I checked the mail this afternoon... there it was... the final sign that it was okay... an unexpected dividend check that paid for the shoes, so all I was out was shipping. Woo-hoo! It was meant... to be...

I've really gotten spoiled with all this time off. It's hard to get out of bed in the mornings... I'm gonna hate Monday with a purple passion. Luckily I still have one more day to vegetate. Tomorrow my normal routine resumes... lunch with the folks... with a slight twist because instead of going home afterward, I will go to dinner with a couple of my friends from high school. And that... except for NYE... is the last commitment on my social calendar. After the 1st I will be flying by the seat of my social pants! Sounds fun doesn't it? Wheee!

4 comments:

  1. It's really sad that justice was not done with A Series of Unfortunate Events. Such fantastically funny books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am waiting for NYE to come and go. Not that I do much. I usually sit in my pjs, drink wine and order Chinese food.

    But I am really looking forward to the new year.

    And yay on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TS - Yeah... I can't put my finger on what went wrong... just didn't translate well. I had really high hopes though.

    Kato - I know what you mean... I have invitations to two parties but will probably veg out with mom and dad and more movies. I've done the big NYE thing and I prefer low-key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, my friend has those shoes and she loves them! I keep thinking of getting some, but mine are still okay..bleah. (I think I'll widen the hole in them, so I won't feel bad in buying a new pair!)

    I didn't even try to go shopping on Boxing Day: I thought it would be a pain, but thankfully it wasn't so bad for you!!

    ReplyDelete