12.07.2009

136 - This looks de-lic-ious

I have an ice cream maker that I've never used... I got it as one of those reward gifts you get for spending money with your credit card... probably 5 years ago. Maybe more. Guess I still won't get to use it, cuz this recipe doesn't require one and it looks yummy... I haven't made it yet, but oh Lordy... I'm-a-gonna:


1 tsp instant coffee (I think this is optional)
1 Tbsp hot water
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-1/4 cups heavy cream, cold


Combine coffee and hot water in a med bowl. Let stand until coffee dissolves. Microwave chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and coffee mixture in bowl (on high? it doesn't say), stirring every 10 seconds., until mixture is melted, about one minute. Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool.


With an electric mixer on med-high, whip cream to soft peaks, about 2 min. Whisk 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, then fold the remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture until incorporated. Freeze in an airtight container until firm, at least six hours or up to 2 weeks (pshaw right...).


I think they left off one important instruction: Eat! YUM.

This morning I felt like an ogre. My cat, Daphne, was lying next to me, purring so loudly that I couldn't go back to sleep. So I made a sudden move, thinking it might stop the purring. SURPRISE KITTY! Didn't work. Guess that's only for hiccups. So I eventually got out of bed, picked her up (gently, there was no punishment here), and carried her to the couch... then I went back to bed with the door closed.

I got up at 6:30 am, opened the door and that she sat. Looking at me. Waiting for me. I kid you not. She's a dog in a cat costume. Gracie is a cat... loves me, but does her own thing until she wants food or affection. Daphne... not so much. Lying on the sofa next to me now. If I get up and move to the bedroom, she'll eventually follow. Daphne is a dog.

I got up 15 minutes earlier than usual because today I was determined to beat the garbage men (soundly about their heads!... I jest...). They have gotten progressively earlier. They used to show up after I left for work. Now they come anywhere between 6:45 and 7:00 am (what kind of person is up at that ungodly hour???), so I'm always rushing to get my trash out onto the curb. Oh -- and I'm in the middle of the neighborhood, so the poor unfortunates who live at the front must have to get up at midnight to put their trash out.

One day I opened the garage door right as they were about to drive off, so I hollered and one of them turned around. I had my purse, my lunch bag, and a garbage bag all in the same hand... he tried to take them all... I resisted... a tug-of-war ensued... he didn't speak English so it was hard to communicate that my purse and lunch weren't part of the deal... In the end we worked it out. He probably hates me.

Anyway.

Today, I won. My neighbor's trashcans were still full of trash when I opened my garage door. So I won. I like saying that. I won. IWONIWONIWONIWON!!! I. Won.

Off to read posts.

8 comments:

  1. Ah the garbage debacle! I too have this same problem... so frustrating~ hooray to you for getting your trash out in time!!!!
    btw recipe sounds so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They said it's kid friendly too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is good considering my spawn insists on having a bite of everything I eat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I know exactly what you mean about the cat being a dog thing. Presently my cat Mikah is riiigghht beside me on the couch. If I even make a move to get up, she is one step ahead of me, never fully sleeping, following me wherever I go. She is less of a dog then she is a burr.

    Also that deliciousness above? It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send *some* of that my way. *reaches for coffee*

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at tsp instant coffee :)
    If it involves my favorite vice it must be good. I think our garbage men are related..Mine seems to get my work schedule and make sure he is at my house promptly 15 minutes before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, there definitely the same up here! They go by at 6 AM. I'm with Bendigo...maybe they are related?!?

    ReplyDelete