10.12.2009

089 - Broom Fall Down, Go Boom

Well, the broom finally fell around 1:30 pm. So sad... I think mom and dad think I'm nuts for calling them to ask if they have a metal broom, and going on and on about how my broom is standing by itself in the middle of my kitchen. Oh well. They've known me for 36 years... they know by now (and the apple don't fall far from the tree, lol).

Today was a holiday, so I got to sleep in a little. Then I got my butt in gear and ran some errands. In the rain. Which I love. (it's not flooding this time)

So scratch the following from my to-do list: deposit check (dangit! I forgot to pull some cash out of the ATM), do grocery shopping, gas up car, and get engine coolant. And I learned a neat trick. If the guy behind the counter at Auto Zone says he likes your car and was thinking about getting one like it, let him look under the hood and he'll add your coolant for you. Awesome. So all I have left is the unsavory task of emptying the cat litter. Oh -- and when my suitcase gets here... pack. Yea! I can pack tonight! Accomplishment is good!

Even better than accomplishment though is this Easy Indian Stew. It really is easy, and it's yummy-licious, too:

1 cup long grained rice (I use Tex-Mati)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 med onion, minced (I use a red one)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
3 cups tomato sauce (one of my cans happened to be "hot" and adding it turned out well)
(2) 15-oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (or 1 packet True Lime)
1/2 cup plan low-fat yogurt (I used light sour cream)

Cook rice according to package directions, cover and keep warm. While rice is cooking, heat oil over med in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, 4-6 min. Add curry powder and ginger; cook, stirring until fragrant, about a minute. Add tomato sauce, chickpeas, and 1-1/2 cups water (oops! failed to do this, and actually I liked it better than the last time I made it). Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occassionally until thickened, 8-10 min. Stir in lime juice, season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice and add a dollop of yogurt. Garnish with lime, if desired.

Next I'm going to make some spiced nuts. I want to try out a recipe for a nut mix with fried capers in it because I think it would make a good snack to take on the trip. On our third day we'll be hiking through the woods, and I figure we'll want something to nosh on. Plus, on my travel day I'm going to be changing planes all day long and I'm not sure when I'm going to eat a real meal... I do know I'm gonna have me a couple of bloody dang Marys though... oh yeah... must follow travel routine... And since I won't be going to the Renaissance Festival this year, I want some cinnamon toasted almonds... yummy. I wish I could find a recipe for the balsamic almonds I got at Target. Found a couple that are balsamic 'glazed' but this was more of a powder coating instead of a glaze. I have a feeling that I could take the Chex Mix recipe and use balsamic vinegar instead of Worcestershire sauce and get pretty dang close... Anyhoo... if the nut mix works out, I'll post the recipe. Wish me luck!

P.S. This is hilarious

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just had to let you know, I really enjoy your blog. I presented you with an award. you can find it at http://bendigosrage.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-awesome-is-this.html. Just a way for me to say keep doing what you are doing... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading this blog. Check out mine when you get a chance ;)

    http://thedailydoseofreality.blogspot.com/

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete