11.17.2009

115 - It's Cold in Alaska

I've come to the realization that I'm a nerd. Every year about this time, I do a preliminary tax return... just to see what I might get back from my Uncle Sam in February (and as soon as I get my statements in the mail I'm off to the races). Because of all the snafus with the house, I spent a heck of a lot in sales tax this year, and because I installed energy efficient windows, I can claim take a tax credit, so this is shaping up to be a good year! It means that I can probably pay off most of my debts!

I haven't ever had discretionary income before, so I don't quite know what to think about it... It's a little scary actually. I don't want to waste it by going crazy and spending it all on frivolities, but I do want to loosen the belt a little. I intend to jack up my 401k contributions and go back to making charitable donations, but other than that I think a savings account and maybe a Roth IRA are as imaginative as I can get right now. Actually I think maybe I should have three savings accounts... one for emergencies... one for a downpayment fund (be it house or car)... and one for travel. That way I'll be saving for all the things that are currently important to me.

That said, I think I'm going to end up donating most of the patterns, fabric and clothing I'd intended to sell on eBay, so that I can increase my charitable donations to closer to the maximum (and save myself the headache). Kato, if you want to look at them before I do that, you can email me at khutchis13@yahoo.com, I can upload pics and let you peruse them. Most of the patterns were going to be 4/$1.00 (a couple of the nicer or vintage patterns were higher), fabric would depend on how much there was of it, and then whatever the shipping costs are. I have some flat rate boxes but I don't know if that counts when you send them to Canada. And if you don't want any of it, not a problem.

Speaking of travel... I know, I'm insatiable... I just got back from Scotland and I'm already planning my next trip... Actually I have a few things in mind... First, in May of next year I think I want to see a shuttle launch before they stop launching altogether... Then in June of the following year, my cousin wants the family to go the Grand Canyon. And then I'm thinking... Alaska. It's not been high on my list, but all of a sudden it's wormed its way into my head and it won't go away. I like the idea of a cruise, and I like the idea of relaxed. I even like the idea of a Christmas cruise. All this depends on what else happens in my life, but for now, that's the outline.

Today a friend of mine was in the area and wanted to know if I could meet her for lunch, so I got to hang out and chat with her instead of sitting at my desk eating a frozen dinner. I like nice surprises! Then, because it was there, we went to Baskin Robbins and bought ice cream cones.

As an adult female I get self conscious about eating ice cream cones in front of guys, but I needed to stop by and see one of the guys in the shop, so I meandered in... Okay... not that I was trying to be sexy, but I am probably the unsexiest ice cream eater in the whole world... the ice cream was melting and running down the cone, dripping onto my fingers, I had chocolate on my chin, when I bit into the cone, more of it came off than I intended and some of it broke away to where I had to chase it with my mouth... it was horrifying (and rereading that I'm not making it sound clumsy... it still sounds provocative... believe me, it wasn't!). He was highly amused. I think he wanted to tie a bib around my neck and go at my face with a wet wipe. So I said what I had to say, fighting the ice cream battle in the meantime, and got the hell out of there.

Okay... my cat is staring out the window in that 'I see something strange out there' sort of way that never fails to freak me out. What the hell does she see? It's times like these when I wish she could talk... I mean, is it a lizard or is it a coyote or is it a frickin person? Her ears are cocked back and she's intent... Look away Daphne... look away... I think she's just messing with me... There's nothing there (...I tell myself).

4 comments:

  1. I would love to see some of those vintage patterns...to narrow it down for you :) Unless you have any cool pants patterns, those would be neat too.

    And Alaska!! Oh Alaska! I have been wanting to go to Alaska since I was a little kid. In fact, in the next couple of years, I am planning a trek there by myself. I think it would be wonderful to start in Anchorage and work my way up (via train) to Fairbanks. I hear that's the best place to be to see the Northern Lights. How great would that be!!?

    Sorry for the excitement but Alaska...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound great, I see you've added a pic on your blog, lol!

    I'll spend some time this weekend taking pics of patterns and fabric and post them to one of those picture hosting sites, then you can let me know which ones you want, if any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alaska would be such a nice trip. I went there when I was in the military and it wasn't quite the same..(cold weather gear and dehydrated pork patties are not fun).

    I'm pretty sure the cat is messin' with you. I also tend to think that they get together to discuss how to freak all of us out. Cause Cooper(my bundle of cat blob) does the same thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise.....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete